Tuesday, April 7, 2009

proof in a pattern

A little while ago, a few of the ladies in my life approached me about teaching them to knit. Nothing formal, just me and seven friends and yarn and needles and a little bit of direction, but somehow or other I felt unworthy. Intimidated, even. Although I've been knitting for years I still feel like a beginner. A one-trick pony. I make hats. Not sweaters or vests or socks or ponchos or mittens, just hats. And the one hat that I'm really good at making is fairly simple, to be honest.
So I set myself on a personal mission to put a few more notches in my needles. I get a lot of joy out of knitting and I'd love to spread it around, after all. I picked out a couple patterns with some tricky stitchwork and cast on. One for Eden and one for Mazzy. I changed the sock pattern into a hat (baby steps), and they both turned out awesome. So now that I've graduated from beginner to, say, fourth grader, I think I'm ready to teach. As long as all they want to learn is hats.

3 comments:

Tegan Henry said...

heh heh. that's definitely what i am when it comes to sewing with wool-- a one trick pony! perhaps we aquarian people like to stick with what we are good at. But you senora jones, are FAR from a one trick pony.

Mrs. Jones said...

hardly!! you can make pants and shants.

mhp said...

yes! everyone in my family could sure use a new hat...
and to a newbie, turning socks into hats sounds like a magic trick!