Wednesday, May 6, 2009

It's That Time Again

One of my favorite times of the whole year is Garden Planting Time. I love the days spent with my two favorite people in one of my favorite places at such a vibrant time of year. I'm especially motivated this year because I have been reading Animal, Vegetable, Miracle by Barbara Kingsolver. It is so inspiring.

I got another burst of inspiration after receiving an email about being featured on a blog. I went to read the write up and got sucked into this really great gardening blog. I ended up getting some good ideas to build some trellises. You can see the one above made out of branches left over from trimming the trees. A couple more down below in the tepee style.

A trip down to our local organic nursery. We picked up sun sugar cherry tomatoes because they are the closest we can get to lollipop plants (which is what Scarlett wanted), zucchini, green beans, cucumber, more tomatoes (lots), basil, thyme and cilantro.


It was a great way to spend the weekend. All of us working together. Creating something together. Something that will nurture and nourish our bodies and our hearts. My mouth is already watering at the thought of Caprese Sandwiches for dinner and salsa made from fresh tomatoes. Food grown with love always tastes the best.



2 comments:

Sarah said...

Kingsolver's book totally changed the way I gardened after I read it. And, changed the way I thought about food in general. Michael Pollan's books are great, too.

Mel @ Skye Rocket Sews said...

That book was great.
We are moving into winter here in Australia,but our fam also loves the spring for planting summer veg and the anticipation of fresh tomatoes and basil especially!!!
Mel.x