Saturday, March 12, 2011

Gifts For My Girls

I wanted to share some gifts I recently made for the girls. At our house, Mama-made gifts come when inspiration strikes, so they are specially cherished because they are one of a kind, designed so specifically with each child in mind, and filled with love.
First, for Scarlett, I made a little lady tool belt.
It was inspired by the stash belts that can be seen in abundance at summer festivals. I salvaged the leather from an old coat that was begging to be repurposed. The leather was great, but the jacket was hideous. The butterfly clasp came from a flea market years ago and has been patiently waiting for me to put it to the perfect use.
This particular eight-year-old's utility belt features plenty of pockets for treasure collecting and little custom compartments to hold all of her essential tools: a pocket knife, a flashlight, a pair of scissors, a large purple whistle and (on special occasions) a hammer. Now those things she always seems to need are always within reach and her hands are free for climbing trees and riding her bike. Next came Tallulah, who just had her first birthday. I wanted to make her something to help us remember this important milestone, something that would last, that would withstand being chewed on and dragged around and loved and still be around for her when she has a one-year-old in need of a Mama-made gift. And it had to be a doll.She has red hair and blue eyes to match Tallulah's own, and I stuffed her with the sweetest smelling wool bits to avoid using polyfill. She fits right in with the rest of our doll family, and most importantly, she fits just right in those loving little hands.

I get such a feeling of satisfaction from creating something with my own two hands for the ones I love. I hope you feel a little inspiration to make something for yours.

1 comment:

Xandie said...

Want... toolbelt. That's awesome.